Labman Automation Ltd
Universal Robots cobots automate new solid dosing laboratory instrument, delivering significant labor savings in pharmaceutical labs
01 The Short story
Labman Automation is a UK technology company specializing in the design and manufacture of laboratory robotics. The company has developed MultiDose, an automated solid dosing laboratory instrument, choosing the UR3e cobot arm to power the system due to UR’s track record and ease of use. MultiDose can free up to six lab technician hours on an experiment compared to running with manual processes. Lab throughput is also increased after hours as the ‘walk away’ nature of the system enables automated experiments.
02 The Business Transformation
The MultiDose offers capacity for 56 dosing heads with RFID reading and writing from each position; six vial input racks per single run; and six interchangeable fingertips and balance vial adapters. The role of the UR3e here is to transport the vials and trays around the cell.
“The beauty of this system is it frees up lab technicians, they load their experiments and walk away,” says Rob Hodgson, Instrument Developer Manager, Labman Automation. “The system is intuitive to operate, it just drops in and is ready to use. It also unlocks your laboratory to perform experiments outside normal working hours."
Labman Automation is anticipating huge commercial potential for the MultiDose system. “We think there’s over £10 million’s worth of work just in the UK pharmaceuticals market alone,” says Rob Hodgson, Instrument Developer Manager, Labman Automation.
03 How They Did It
04 The Benefits
- Accessibility of the UR solution reduces high training costs
- Flexible solution can be used for multiple experiments, while ensuring highly accurate levels of powder dosage
- Maintains a safe and secure work environment
- Automated platform saves hours of manual experiment time and high costs of lab technicians manually weighing out powders
- Products can be brought to testing, trial and rollout much quicker
- Flexible, multi-use platform is fully integrated with software, empowering lab staff to be in full control of ingredients throughout the process
- Picking and placing vials
- Picking and placing dosing heads
- Picking and placing balance vial adapters
- Picking and placing SBS format reaction plates
- Automatically changing gripper finger tips
Get started today
Cost-effective, safe and flexible collaborative robots - or cobots- are making automation easier than ever, even for the small and mid-sized companies.